Dr. Toby Waine
+44 (0)7958 448971
Date of Birth:
EngD, Doctor of Engineering (1999)
BEng (Hons.), Agricultural Engineering, 2:1, (1995)
In-depth knowledge of Java Virtual Machines and OTA provisioning software for embedded devices such as PDA's and mobile communication devices
Building customer relationships from a technical perspective, in a sales environment
Writing and presenting technical material to customers and providing training to customers and channel partners
Project management from concept to implementation
Solid engineering background with a good understanding of electronics, hardware and instrumentation
Apr 03 - Sep 03 - Field Application Engineer - Northern Europe, Esmertec AG. (Esmertec purchased Insignia’s Java VM business assets in April 03)
Nov 01 - Apr 03 - Field Application Engineer - EMEA, Insignia Solutions PLC.
- Technical pre-sales for Insignia's Java VM and Secure Systems Provisioning (SSP) Mobile Communication software, more recently Esmertec’s Jbed VM. Working closely with the Regional Sales Director, with customers throughout Europe including major mobile operators (carriers) and handset manufacturers.
- Directly helped to close Java VM business in Germany, Israel, and recently €3m deal with leading handset manufacturer. Helped to achieve the business objective of SSP lab trials with 2 leading mobile operators.
- Responsibilities: Building customer relationships on the technical side, which includes understanding their requirements, project specification, pre-sales evaluation and support, solution selling
- Technical presentations to customers and channel partners (Wind River and BSquare)
- Providing the interface between Sales and Engineering, ensuring engineering quotes reflect wider business aims
- Mixture of direct sales and partnership selling with channels
Oct 00 - Nov 01- Software Engineer, Insignia Solutions PLC.
- Global technical support of Jeode EVM, Java Embedded Virtual Machine, to software engineers and developers of leading hardware and software companies
- Responsibilities included; problem solving, answering technical questions, writing test applications, fault finding, debugging, integrating changes into the software product
- Marketing support: Set up demonstrations for customers and trade shows, e.g. Linux-iPAQ PDA running a Java database at Linux World trade show
- Experience in; Java Virtual Machines, NT4, Linux, WinCE embedded devices, HTML, Java, Java Certification (TCK), Perl, scripting, Perforce, Clarify database
May 00 - Oct 00 - Research Assistant, Institute of AgriTechnology, Cranfield University, Silsoe.
- Consultancy: To independently evaluate performance and accuracy of combine harvester yield monitoring systems
Nov 99 - Mar 00 - Technical Development Manager, A.S.E. Solutech Ltd., Bedfordshire. (Specialist IT and agronomy consultancy for agriculture and sports industries)
- Technical management of commercialisation of ‘MagnaScan’ Electromagnetic Induction (EMI) soil property sensing service (one of the sensors investigated in my doctorate project)
- Project management of ‘TurfTrax’ racecourse going maps for Haydock Park, Aintree and other racecourses
Sep 93 - Jul 94 - Assistant in Sales and Marketing department, McConnel Ltd., Shropshire. (Manufactures of tractor mounted hedge cutters and grass cutting equipment)
- Product demonstration, exhibitions, preparation of sales and marketing literature and technical product information
1995-1999 - Cranfield University, Silsoe College. UK.
Engineering Doctorate (EngD). (Industry sponsored).
Thesis title: Non-invasive soil property measurement for Precision Farming. (subjects; Electromagnetic induction sensing and gas detection)
- Specialist technical subjects studied: Mechatronics, Applied Remote Sensing and Statistics
- Management studies: Cranfield School of Management MBA programme. Subjects: Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Strategy, Economics and Human resource management
1991-1995 - Cranfield University, Silsoe College, UK.
BEng (Hons.) Agricultural Engineering, 2:1 degree.
1986-1991 - Cheshunt School, Hertfordshire, UK.
3 GCE A-levels: Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
11 GCSEs. Maths, Statistics, English literature, English language, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Modular Technology, Electronics, Geography and French.
Hill walking, skiing and mountain biking
Clean driving licence
Publications in Academic Journals
References available on request